Skip to main content
FireplacesGas FireplacesUncategorized

Gas Fireplace Safety

By November 10, 2019February 18th, 2021No Comments

A gas-burning fireplace is easier to maintain than a wood-burning fireplace but also requires annual preservation and care. Issues can arise and can be deadly. Carbon monoxide enters the home when fireplace vents are blocked or do not operate as expected.

If you notice any of the following, your gas fireplace may not be venting properly and requires immediate attention to ensure safety.

  • Dampness inside the home, specifically on walls (peeling wallpaper, paint blisters, etc.)
  • Water vapor condensed inside the cooler flue
  • Stains on the outside of the chimney, especially if the stains are light in color
  • Erosion around mortar joints and or deteriorating bricks

If you suspect a vent issue, do not light your fireplace until it can be inspected by a professional. Visual evidence could be a signal of carbon monoxide build-up inside the house, so act quickly! Give us a call, email or fill out our contact form if you have any questions or concerns.